Orleans Mint opened in 1838 to take advantage of the strategic
port location and the economic importance of the city, as
well as the availability of locally minded gold. In 1861,
the mint’s operations were discontinued after it was
seized by Confederate forces, who used the building ad quarters
for its troops. In 1862, Union forces recaptured the city,
eventually reopening the building as a U.S. assay office.
For a short time, the building
was used as a federal prison. In 1879, coinage resumed and
continued until 1909. Today, the building still stands on
the northeastern edge of the French Quarter, serving as a
branch of the Louisiana State Museum. The mintmark for New
Orleans is the letter O. The New
Orleans Mint produced both gold and silver coins, in varying
mintages (rare to common), generally of good quality, but
often softly struck.